Dumbarton Academy FP AFC 4 Milngavie Wanderers 3: Match Report

Accies started their league campaign with a hard-fought victory following a match with sung back and forth.  Ultimately they found a winner four minutes into injury time.

Accies started on the front foot, with Shane Jackson being released of the Milngavie defence by Alan Sweeney.  The forward’s shot went wide with the goal gaping.

A few minutes later, Sweeney saw a shot blocked as Accies continued to press forward.

Accies took a deserved lead on 12 minutes. A Jack Buchanan 20 yard free-kick found the net.  Milngavie keeper, Robert Bell, will reflect that the wet conditions didn’t do him any favours as the ball slid past him.

The influential Sweeney then doubled Accies lead after 20 minutes. The predominantly left-footed player hit a great shot with his right foot that thundered into the net.

Milngavie steadied the ship, limited Accies to long-range efforts whilst starting to create opportunities for themselves.

As the 1st half draw to a close, Milngavie were awarded a penalty.  Accies keeper Andrew Campbell was sent the wrong way from a well-taken finish.

Half time 2:1

Shane Jackson saw Milgnavie keeper Robert Bell save well, following a quick Accies free-kick that led to the forward having the opportunity.

Accies regained their two-goal lead on 50 minutes.  A corner was swung into the box, which Andy MacNally headed home strongly.

Again, Milngavie reduced the deficit.  The impressive Jonathan Grant evaded a couple of tackles a tidily finished past Campbell.

Accies defender Josh Degg was left was a bloodied nose following a strong challenge, as the action ebbed back and forth.

Accies almost regained their two-goal advantage, when Alan Sweeney saw an attempt saved then substitute Andrew MacDonald saw his rebound deflected clear.

As the match entered injury time, Milngavie equalised.  Fergus Spense beat two Accies defender and finished well.  

It looked like Milngavie had gained a point, with Accies dropping two.  To their credit, Accies went in search of the win.  A long throw was cleared for a corner.  With referee Tam Gilchrist informing that this would be the last play of the match, Jack Buchanan swung the ball into the 6-yard box where the awaiting Leo Dariemas bundled the ball home.

Full time 4:3

Accies Manager, Michael Dickie, was pleased that his team secured the three points, but less so with the manner of the victory, commenting “At 2:0, we had opportunities to close out the game. Milngavie competed particularly strongly in the second half, lifted by the penalty they score at half time. It looked like we had dropped two points when they scored in injury time. It does speak volumes for my teams determination that we immediately went up the other end of the park to secure the winner – they could have let the heads drop instead.”

Dumbarton Academy FP AFC
Andrew Campbell, Sam Degg, Josh Degg, Leo Daremas, Jack MacCalman, Jack Buchanan (capt), Callum Shipcott, Andrew MacNally, David Allan, Shane Jackson, Alan Sweeney
Subs: Ryan Degan, David Goodwin, Andrew MacDonald, Conor McGlinchey, Logan Park

Milngavie Wanderers AFC
Robert Bell, Martyn Hillan, Ross Boyd, Thomas McGeough, Jay Macarkey, Liam MacDonald, Fraser Campbell, Ciaran Innes, Jonathan Grant, Neil John McConnochie, Fergus Spense,
Subs: Calum Campbell, Grant Hutton, Clinton Maxwell, Daniel Bonnar, Gary McMonagle

Match Official
Tam Gilchrist

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.