United Boss Left Frustrated By Drop In Sunday Standards

FC Southside United Manager Derek Johnston has revealed frustration following Sunday’s 2-2 draw against Anchor Sociedad at Hillwood Park. Taking time for @AmmyFitbaNews he told me “Over the piece it’s probably a fair result although I can’t help but be a little frustrated as I feel we fell short of the levels we’ve been setting for ourselves lately. That said, great character shown by the lads to still pick themselves up.”

“The good thing is it mostly individual moments in the game that has cost us and these are things we’ll work hard to correct.”

“With us now heading into the home straight  of pre-season I’ll begin to focus more on finding my starting eleven in the next two games and we’ll start to be more specific in work we do on the training pitch. I am still on the lookout for some additions to the team with competition and quality needed middle to front along with needing another left back, but we continue to go in the right direction.”

Anchor started the stronger of the two sides and made that count when they went one up within the opening 20 minutes following some slack possession from the Orange and Blacks, which was punished.

It may have been a case of settling into the game or perhaps adapting to a more natural surface, but the early exchanges were somewhat scrappy for both sides. The odd foul without any malice included, it would be one of those fouls which led to an equaliser. Alastair Mathieson grabbed  the opportunity with a free kick from over 30 yards out. The referees shout of it being direct was even more fuel to the United number 9’s intentions, when he lashed one off the post which flew across the goal line before settling in the back of the net to pull the homesters level.

Vice captain Lee Kane was replaced by Captain Alan Aiden after 30 minutes with a recurrence of a groin injury which has kept him out recently. Unfortunately, the skipper couldn’t get a chance to get up to the speed of the game, finding himself beaten for Anchor’s second of the game.  He went on to  have a strong showing thereafter.

Just before the break it was another bit of individual brilliance from Stevie Jeffrey which gave Southside their second goal. He created a pocket of space in the middle of the park and drove one into the back of the net from 30 yards!

At half time Manager Johnston  made several changes in hope they  would get a lift in performance levels. Daniel Ohare, Brandon Copeland  and Ashton Ohare taking the place of James MacLeod, Bonny Osoro and Sean McGuire. The message was simple: ‘Settle on the ball more and cut out the individual mistakes.”

The draw,  in the end, was a fair result, with Anchor taking control of the first half and FC Southside United slightly edging the second half. On the hour mark , Jamie Dealey replaced Danny Houston and United had more joy from the wide men second half. 

Brandon Copeland was an important figure, but Southside failed to create any clear cut chances.

Anchor was a good test for the squad and there are  further opportunities to guage overall progress with two friendlies before the first competitive match on Sunday, October 18. United  host Dynamo Glasgow in a 2pm kick off at Hillwood Park on Sunday, October 4, in what should be an interesting match between two new sides in the GDSFC Only Sport Ltd Division One.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.